Pay attention to LED
The use of LED lighting in horticulture is increasing. The higher efficiency in light output, longer lifespan and possibilities to adjust the lighting to a specific crop are major advantages. The range in LED fixtures is large, and so are the differences in quality. We give you tips on what to look out for when buying and installing LED fixtures.
Choose your installer carefully
In addition to the already well-known lighting suppliers, there are many new players on the market.
The circumstances in which a horticulturist applies LED lighting cannot be compared to those of another company. Greenhouse horticulture suppliers know the conditions in a greenhouse in which they are used. They are also aware of the expected lifespan and guarantee periods of your fixtures. Are you opting for a supplier outside the greenhouse horticulture sector? Then thoroughly inform him about the circumstances in which you want to use the LED lighting and check whether the fixtures are suitable and that they have sufficient stock for the future.
This is what you and your installer should pay attention to with LED
The fixtures are suitable for greenhouse and cultivation conditions
The LED lamps must be suitable for your cultivation conditions, for example, high humidity, temperature, or the use of cleaning and crop protection agents.
You know what the expected heat development is around the fixtures
Temperature also has a major influence on the efficiency and lifespan of LEDs. Because of this, manufacturers pay a lot of attention to heat dissipation. This can be done by cooling fins, fans and water-cooled fixtures. Each system has its advantages and disadvantages.
Reduce the risk of fire with the right electrical protection and cables, even when replacing SON-T with LED
- The electrical installation that is used for Son-T is not always suitable to change the fixtures 1-to-1 with LED fixtures. When switching on an LED fixture, a high current flows briefly through the lamp to start it. This is called the inrush peak. This can be 100 times as high as the normal current. The components and safety devices must be suitable for this. The installer will have to reassess the installation.
- Your installer provides a delivery inspection and a diagnostic of the installation per the brochure "Assimilation of lighting Control and maintenance" in which, among other things, the power quality measurement is carried out.
Optimum cultivation with the right choices regarding assembly and reducing the risk of failure and fire
- LED fixtures can be considerably heavy. Therefore, the construction and the greenhouse to which they are attached must be suitable.
- Make sure that the suspension systems used are strong enough so that the fixtures will not fall when bumped. If necessary, install a safety cord.
- How is the expansion/contraction absorbed with long rows of consecutive LED fixtures? Your installer must take this into account when fitting LEDs; ask him how he does this.